One of the things many people would change about hearing aids is the necessity of having to care for the devices on a daily basis. As hearing aid best practices recommend a minimal amount of daily cleaning, regular professional cleaning, frequent battery changes, and other tasks, it can be tough to keep up with it all.
For those people who want a “set it and forget it” style of hearing aid, there are Lyric hearing aids.
What Are Lyric Hearing Aids
Lyric Extended-Wear hearing aids have been developed by Phonak as an invisible hearing aid you can wear 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is placed deep inside of your ear canal and acts as an amplifying lens for your eardrum, capturing sound and transmitting it to the rest of your auditory system.
These invisible hearing aids are designed to address mild to moderately-severe hearing loss and are made of a soft, biocompatible material so they can easily sit inside your ear while still allowing air to flow naturally. Yet, even with the comfortable fit and airflow, the Lyric will remain stable in the position where it is placed by the hearing specialist.
Not every hearing specialist is certified to place these devices. However, if you are interested in them, here at Hearing Associate of Las Vegas, our hearing instrument specialists are able to both answer your questions about Lyric and place these extended-wear hearing aids in your ears.
Potential Benefits Of Lyric Hearing Aids
When looking into whether or not the Lyric hearing aids are for you, there are many potential benefits to choosing these devices.
- Continually wear – While already mentioned, the fact that you can simply wear the Lyric hearing aids day-in and day-out without having to do anything with them is one of the biggest benefits of these hearing aids. Likened to wearing a contact lens, these hearing aids are unobtrusive to the point that you wouldn’t realize that you were even wearing them except for the fact that you can finally hear things that you have been missing.
- No interference with external devices – Regular hearing aids can make using your phone or other devices difficult to use, depending on what style of hearing aids you have and what technology is included. With the Lyric placed deep inside your ear, you can easily use phones, wear glasses, and forget that you are wearing hearing aids at all.
- Water-resistant – Unlike other hearing aids, you can wear the Lyric hearing aids when you shower! As they are designed to be worn 24/7, the Lyric is designed to resist incidental contact with water.
- Minimally-designed – Lyric hearing aids have a minimalist design, which allows them to pass through metal detectors with no issue as well as last for months without any maintenance.
Considerations Before Choosing Lyric
No type of hearing aid is perfect, so there are some considerations which may impact your decision to go ahead with Lyric hearing aids.
- Lyric requires a subscription purchase – Unlike regular hearing aids which you purchase and use until the end of their lifespan, Lyric hearing aids are purchased via yearly subscription. This subscription can be a positive aspect, especially if you need several replacements in a year.
- Durability is dependent on personal factors – How long any pair of Lyric hearing aids last will vary from person-to-person. If you are especially prone to earwax buildup or other issues which may affect the Lyric hearing aids, you may need to have them replaced more often. Our hearing instrument specialists will be happy to help you determine what your needs are when it comes to your Lyric hearing devices.
- Device needs to be removed before an MRI – While an X-ray and CT scan can be done with the Lyric hearing aids in, you will need to have them removed prior to having an MRI done. These devices can be replaced after the MRI, but it is imperative that they are out before going in.
- Lyric needs to be re-inserted by professional – You will be given a device which will help you remove the Lyric hearing aids yourself if there is a need. However, you cannot safely re-insert the devices by yourself. Instead, you will need to come in and see our Lyric-certified hearing instrument specialists, and they will place your Lyric hearing aids back into your ears.
- This hearing aid can’t be submerged – While the Lyric hearing aids are water-resistant, they are not entirely waterproof, as they are still electronic devices. Total submersion is not recommended, so avoid diving or underwater swimming.
Find Lyric At Hearing Associates Of Las Vegas
Not all hearing professionals are Lyric-certified, but here at Hearing Associates of Las Vegas, our hearing specialists are certified to order Lyric hearing aids and place them.
So, as your local Lyric-certified provider, if you would like to know more or want to test a trial pair of Lyric hearing aids, contact us for an appointment today.